Thursday, December 6, 2012

Day 6: Wired to Make Christmas Crafts

Kaden is a pretty well rounded kid. He had four adults living and raising him at a pretty forming age. The To-Banker house is what we called it.

Joel gave kaden the love of food. He also got most of the sports stuff from Joel. (Except baseball cause Joel thinks its boring and soccer cause Zach LOVES soccer so he passed that onto kaden.)

I gave kaden the organizing and crafty side. He's also a darn good baker. But boy can the kid put the right toys in the correctly marked boxes. :)

Uncle Zach definitely gave him the passion for soccer. The Timbers especially which we already talked about on day 2. And he passed on his love for ice cream.

Mei Mei gave kaden the love for the outdoors. (Although he doesn't like it TOO hot... That's totally my influence. Haha) kaden also got the love of books from Amanda. Also the adventurous spirit is from her too.

So... Why not hone in on our strengths when it comes time to be at home with the kids. On Tuesday I thought it was funny that when I asked kaden if he wanted to go to open gym he said no. He wanted to stay home and organize and do chores. (His words, not mine...weird kid, i know!) He also wanted to work on his crafts. We are trying to get some Christmas presents out. I had a proud "atta boy!" moment, but knew he would really enjoy the outing. I'm sure if Joel or Zach would have asked him he would have been all over going. I promised we would work on some craft projects when we got back and he decided to go. It was so much fun for him. But when we did get home he went straight to the Christmas paper. The cotton ball snowman, the Santa plate face, the stickers and the glue were all over the place. He also had a ton of fun. But what he enjoys the most is when he can incorporate all the elements into one. When his drawings are after a soccer match and he documents the score. He has learned how to spell Timbers without a cheat sheet. But he makes it look all pretty with stickers and markers. Or when he can bake cookies and decorate them green and gold for the timbers. Haha!

I'm thankful he likes to do so many different things. But I love how he's so passionate about whatever he's doing. I am learning that passion should continue into adulthood. That things are just more fun when we don't go through life Ho-Hum about our jobs, our families, our spouse, our whatever but that we are enjoying what we have and find meaning in them. I want to continue to learn new things to make myself be more well rounded and enjoy the things I might not naturally lean towards. What are you naturally gifted at? And what things are you wanting to learn and grow to be a little more well-rounded? I am thankful for the time living in community.... Especially for my kids. I need a good community around me to display to me and my family the other stuff I'm not naturally wired to do or be.

But we can create one crazy looking cotton ball snow man together!!! Hahha! Kaden got a little carried away with the buttons. :) hope you had a great day and that you got to do something that you love!

No comments: