Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Day 5: Advent

The hustle and bustle of Christmas is all around us. I worked in retail for a third of my life that I am a little immune to the craziness. I actually miss it. I am a people pleaser so I actually enjoyed making my customers happy with a good product and great customer service. There was bad days, but overall I feel like I am who I am because of all those years working retail, especially during the holidays. But so often that's the first thing that comes to mind during Christmas. Being in that environment so long I let retail dictate when Christmas is. I anxiously wait for the Red cups to come out at Starbucks. And that's when Christmas season starts. Hahah!

Growing up in an immigrant home we don't have a ton of traditions. Christmas was revolved around the church. We had choir practice, the play to practice for and all that jazz. We ate with the church and had presents at the church. We had presents at home, but it wasn't the focal high light or tradition. The only thing that's remotely traditional is the box of See's chocolate candy. ALWAYS. :)

So, when Joel and I had Kaden we talked about what traditions we wanted to start in our home. But it wasn't more than just a conversation. We spend the week of Christmas in Seattle so we just try to hang out with as many friends and family as possible. I did buy a Christmas kids book last year and read that to kaden and Chloe before we opened presents. Chloe wasn't so interested. I think more than anything kaden was very confused last year why it didn't snow on Christmas. He said it wasn't Christmas yet. He's lucked out cause all the years prior its snowed on Christmas and the one year we celebrated on thanksgiving (cause we went to Vietnam over Christmas) and it actually snowed on thanksgiving. But he is at an age he knows what's going on and we want him to know its not about the gifts around the tree. But it's about celebrating and anticipating the arrival of baby Jesus.

Today I had the privilege to hang with several moms at the preschool Kaden attends. We talked about parenting and discipline, etc. Then at the end we talked about Christmas and what simple things we can do to recenter our families on Jesus. So here are some fun ways I heard today... One was to wait in the hall and wait for their kid to wake up and have a candle lit. And when the kid would come out they would sing happy birthday to Jesus and blow out the candle. One was to take Joseph and Mary from the nativity scene and hide them throughout the house daily and the kids would have to find them every day. As Joseph and Mary journeyed on their long trip to Bethlehem. And Christmas Eve they would be found in the manger and then Christmas morning you would find baby Jesus in the manger. One was to write all the names of Jesus out on ornaments or paper and unwrap a new one every day or week leading up to Christmas and talk about how he's the mighty god, wonderful counselor, prince of peace, etc. Another was to give gifts to Jesus first. There's so many more... Advent readings and bible stories. I desire that not only my kids are focusing in on Jesus and why he came into this world but also I'm a very tactile person and want my heart centered too. What fun Christmas traditions do you have in your family or what will you be starting?
I think I want to bake Jesus a birthday cake this year. May you be able to take a deep breathe and slow down and be able to reflect about the true meaning of this season. Merry Christmas!





No comments: