Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Lent Day 7: Bedside Tables

I think there's a magnetic pull for crap to accumulate on any clear flat surface. Hahah! Our bedside tables have drawers too so that gets filled with stuff. 

Throughout this simplifying process it's been trying to pray through why I'm holding on to garbage... Lots of drawings from the kids, broken toys, ripped clothing. As I look deep into my heart I know much of it stems from being an immigrant family. My parents came here to America with the shirts on their backs and my mom was 8 months pregnant when we arrived in her new home in Seattle. I don't remember lacking much as a kid and I certainly don't remember being "poor". My parents were loved on by the church and by an amazing sponsor family. They worked really hard and were able to now own a house, cars, too many tvs for just two people. Lol. I am very proud of my parents and the work and tears they put into giving their kids a better life. 

So with coming from this background I feel like I need to hold onto everything. Have memories/keepsakes for my kids to take with them. But realizing that I can't keep every single drawing they make. Every single article of clothing or toy. There's a few things like their lovies and first soccer jersey. But they won't care about that letter "A" they traced a hundred times in school. I do have to take out the recycling and garbage after each of these cleans cause the kids will pillage and take out the stuff I'm throwing away or recycling. 

Having clean cleared off bedside tables are amazing for my soul. It's the first and last thing I see when I am in bed. Hope you have a great Wednesday! It's been a full week of lent already! 

No comments: