Friday, March 7, 2014

Lent Day 3: My Clothes

After having two kids and having lots of clothes that are for the "in between" stages... It was definitely time to clean out my clothes. I'm not complaining. I'm pretty much my same weight as before kids or even through college and high school. But after kids the weight just kind of shifts around a little. Lol. So, the question really is why do I have clothes from high school in my closet?  Crazy! I don't wear any of it. It just gets moved around and shifted over. And why does one person need seven black cardigans? Yep. That's me. Guilty. My problem is that I get a new one cause my old one has a tear or rip in it and instead of letting go of the old one when I buy the new one I just keep both. They are a little different. (I try to justify in my head). Lol. Then over time I have seven. 

I recently read Jen Hatmaker's book Seven. Where each month she chooses seven items of one thing like food, clothes, etc. She only could wear the same seven items of clothes for a whole month. It was entertaining and eye opening. And at the end of the month no one really noticed or cared that she was in the same stuff. Now I'm not going to go to that extreme but it sounded very freeing not to be spending so much time having to think about clothes, folding, washing, matching. Haha! 

It's so crazy that our identity is so wrapped up in our appearance and our clothes can communicate a lot about us. As I was cleaning out my clothes today I was praying that my identity can be fully wrapped in Jesus and the clothes that he dresses me in... Righteousness, love, joy... And not my own selfishness. May this season of lent be a time of reflecting on your true identity and not what this world tries to make our identity. 

No comments: