Monday, January 31, 2011

October... Marathon Month...



I started several posts about the Portland Marathon... I couldn't get through writing anything without getting teary-eyed. Therefore making it hard to type. :) So, here I am four months later when the emotions aren't so high. I was so proud of my husband. If you know anything about Joel he's a great starter... not always the best finisher. He finished the marathon... and I heard that he told someone that he could do it again! :) Maybe he was a little delirious when he said that... but he said it nonetheless. Kaden and I walked/drove around the city and had our own marathon. The next few days I was wondering why I was so sore. :) Kaden and I drove Joel down to the starting line at the crack of dawn. Kaden and I cheered at the starting line, mile 3, 6, 12, 20 and the finish. We saw several friends and family members... some that we didn't know were even in town. We were drenched. The rain was relentless that day! Of course it cleared up once the whole thing was over. We almost didn't make it to the finish line... the street we decided to take up to find parking was packed... moving inches at a time...frantically texting those at the finish line to make sure we didn't miss the guys coming in yet. We made it... and tears welled up as they crossed the line... it was beautiful. Kaden did an amazing job galavanting around the Portland. He cheered from his stroller, he napped in the rain, we cheered from the back of our honda fit to protect us from the rain... we ran blocks, hiked hills... OH, I am tired just recounting the day!!! :) We ate snacks along the way... but didn't really have breakfast or lunch (bad planning on momma's part). The adventures we go on! :)

Joel along with several other Missio friends (and family and friends) raced this big race and how fitting it was to watch each run it strong and finish well. We were with other Missio friends who were on the sidelines cheering our leaders on. It was a beautiful picture of the year for us. Journeying with this church plant, Missio... no matter how crazy it sounds to want to sell our house, move to SW, give up a wonderful community we have at Mosaic... to start something new to reach SW Portland or Jesus. We ran the race together.... each of us had a part in it.

I am very thankful that Joel is done with the marathon... life resumed back to normalcy... so we thought. :)

No comments: